The Revista Latinoamericana de Química is an international journal of chemistry and related areas of natural products. Publisher three times a year by Laboratorios Mixim S.A. de C.V México D.F.
The following areas are covered:
• Organic Chemistry . Will be published works on organic reaction, synthesis, mechanisms, spectroscopy, photochemistry, heterocyclic and organo-metallic compounds, their structural determination and application.
• Bio-Organic . Will be published works on bioactive organic compounds, carbohydrates, lignanes, wood chemistry, bioenergetic, lipids, growth hormones and their structures-activity relationships.
• Ecological Biochemistry . Will be published works on biochemical adaptations of plants, pollination biochemistry, plant growth regulators, plant toxins and their effects on animals, phytoecdysones, antifeedants, herbivore plant defense and insect feeding preferences, utilization of plant substances by animals and all aspects of biochemical plant pathology, phytotoxins, phytoalexins, insecticides and herbicides of biological origin and allelopathic aspect of them.
• Phytochemistry . Will be published works on biosynthesis of secondary metabolites, constituents of microbial systems, higher plants and marine sources, chemotaxonomy, structural elucidation of new secondary metabolites, alkaloids, coumarins, flavonoids, phenylpropanoids, polyketides, terpenoids, and other miscellaneous compounds.
• Biological activities of medicinal plants. Will be published works on rigorous and ethically conduced investigation of the biological activity of plants used in the traditional medicine of different cultures. Pharmacological and toxicological action mechanisms are especially welcome. Bioassay-guided isolation and biological activities of phytochemicals are also welcome. Clinical efficacy, safety and pharmacovigilance of herbal medicines will be considered.
• Analytical evaluation of herbal medicines and raw materials . Will be published works on the development and validation of analytical methods for medicinal plants and commercial herbal products. Pharmacognosy studies are welcome, especially those that provide the bases to development pharmacopeial monographs.
• The papers which cut across these sections or which are on any other aspect of natural products research and chemistry will also be considered.
The Revista Latinoamericana de Química will accept the following contributions:
• Original research articles . Should contain concise papers representing significant contributions of respective research, completely documented and being in agree with the indications on divisions of the work, without limit of pages.
• Short report . Should contain concise papers representing significant contributions to scientific knowledge, accordingly with the same indication that for articles, with 6-8 pages of manuscript.
• Reviews and Commentaries by invitation only.
II. PREPARATION OF MANUSCRIPTS
The minimum requirement for a manuscript qualify for peer review are:
1. That it has been prepared following the format and style of the journal
2. That is written in good Spanish or English
3. That it is complete
4. The format of manuscripts should be neatly typed, double-spaced throughout, on pages letter size (21.6 x 27.9 cm ), and font type Times New Roman 12. The right-hand margin should be 2.5 cm and the others margins 3.5 cm.
5. The manuscript should be content the following format and order of presentation:
Page number 1. Title, author(s) and address
Format: The Title should be with capital letters, bold, and size font 14 and not more than 15 words. The author name (s). First name and last name should be in capital and lowercase letters, bold, and size font 12.The address (es) should be write in font 12 and start with capital letter. If there are two or more authors with different addresses, use a superscripted letter (a, b, c, etc.), at the end of the last name of each author to indicate his/her corresponding address. The corresponding author, to whom correspondence and proofs will be sent, must be indicated by an asterisk and footnoted. In the footnote, his/her the telephone number, fax and e-mail address must be indicated.
Content. The Title should be a brief phrase describing the contents of the paper, concise and clear.
Page number 2. Graphical Abstract
Format: Should be size font 12.
Content: Should be content the Title, structure drawing principal or representative, all the authors and addresses, and summary concise, in this order. Not more than 40 words.
Page number 3. Abstract (in English)
Format: Should be size font 12. Not more than 200 words and including a four to six key words list.
Content: Should be content implicit the objectives, results and conclusions.
Page number 4. Abstract (in Spanish)
Format: Should be size font 12. Not more than 200 words.
Content. Same the Abstract in English
Next pages. Text layout
Format: The sub-headings should be write in capital letter size font 12, bold and should not be justified.
Content.The text of a research paper should be divided into the following headings:
Should provide a background to the study appropriate for an international audience and should clearly state the specific aims of the study. Please ensure that any abbreviations and all symbols used in equations are fully defined.
Material and methods
This section should describe the materials and methodology used in sufficient detail to allow the study to be replicated. Please include details of ethical approval in this section.
Results and Discussion
Results may be presented in isolation from the Discussion or as an amalgamated section depending on the nature of the study. Only results of the study should be included here. It is essential to include statistical analyses or other indicators to enable assessment of the variance of replicates of the experiments. Data should not be repeated in Figures and Tables. Under most circumstances a maximum of seven Figures and/or Tables appropriate.
A brief conclusions section should be included summarizing the salient findings of the study. Authors are strongly advised to emphasize the contribution made to the field by their study in this section.
This section is used to acknowledge financial and other assistance to the work.
The Journal uses the Harvard reference system. All citations in the text must appear in the reference list and vice versa. Unpublished work should not be included in the reference list unless accepted for publication (please indicate this by inserting (In press) after the journal name). References in the text are cited by author and year, if there is three or more authors use et al. If the year is the same for several references identify these with a,b,c etc., (e.g. Brown 1999a) both in the text and in the reference list. In the reference list, arrange the reference in the order: names(s) (all), date, title of article, complete journal title, volume, and first and last page numbers, with no underlining:
Laux, M.T., Salas R., Rodríguez E. (2007) Natural products: healthy and safe alternatives to hormone replacement therapy. Revista Latinoamericana de Química 35 : 20-32
Ugalde, M., Reza, V., González-Trujano, M.E., Avula, B., Khan I.A., Navarrete A. (2005) Isobolographic analysis of the sedative interaction between six central nervous system depressant drugs and Valeriana edulis hydroalcoholic extract in mice. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 57 : 631-639
Snyder, L.R., Kirkland , J.J., Glajch, J.L. (1997) Practical HPLC method development. 2 nd Edition. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., USA pp. 80-97
Miller, J. S. and Gereau, R. E. (1999) Therapeutic potential of plant-derived compounds: realizing the potential. In Cutler, S.J., Cutler, H.G. (eds) Biologically active natural products: Pharmaceuticals. US: CRC Press LLC, pp. 25-37
Please keep the number of tables to a minimum. Tables should be numbered consecutively (Table 1, Table 2 etc) and each table must start on a separate sheet. Tables should not be ruled. Each table legend, in paragraph form, should briefly describe the content and define any abbreviations used.
Please keep the number of figures to a minimum. High quality electronic figures must be supplied. Figures should be kept separate from the main article text and should be included as the last item of the manuscript text. The manuscript should indicate the position of the figures (e.g. see Figure 1) and all figures should be numbered consecutively. All figures and photographs should be suitable for black and white reproduction.