SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.16 número3What is Changing in Indications and Treatment of Focal Nodular Hyperplasia of the Liver. Is There any Place for Surgery?Transient Elastography vs.Aspartate Aminotransferase to Platelet Ratio Index in Hepatitis C: A Meta-Analysis índice de autoresíndice de assuntospesquisa de artigos
Home Pagelista alfabética de periódicos  

Serviços Personalizados




Links relacionados

  • Não possue artigos similaresSimilares em SciELO


Annals of Hepatology

versão impressa ISSN 1665-2681


GOLABI, Pegah et al. The Prevalence of Parkinson Disease Among Patients With Hepatitis C Infection. Ann. Hepatol. [online]. 2017, vol.16, n.3, pp.342-348. ISSN 1665-2681.


HCV has been suspected to potentially cause degenerations in the central nervous system. Parkinson’s disease is the second most common neurodegenerativo disorder. Our aim was to assess the prevalence of Parkinson’s disease among patients with HCV infection.

Material and methods.

For this study, we used Medicare database from 2005-2010. Medicare database contains information on enrollment, coverage, diagnosis recorded with International Classification of Disease, Ninth Revision (ICD- 9). From combined inpatient and outpatient files, Parkinson’s disease was identified as the first diagnosis by ICD-9 code 332.0. Other study variables were; age, gender, race (White and No White), and Medicare eligibility status. Simple distribution comparison by HCV status examined with t-test for numerical variables and χ2 test for categorical variables in the main analytical cohort as well as in the propensity score matched cohort.


A total of 1,236,734 patients (median age 76 years, 41% male, and 85% White) was identified among over 47 million claims. Of these, 6040 patients (0.5%) were infected with HCV. Overall, 0.8% (N = 49) of the HCV group and 1.3% (N = 16,004) of the Non-HCV group had Parkinson’s disease (P < 0.001). When the study groups matched for age, gender and race, the prevalence of Parkinson’s disease was similar between HCV and Non-HCV groups (P > 0.05).


This study revealed that, among Medicare population, HCV was not associated with Parkinson disease.

Palavras-chave : Chronic liver disease; Mental disorders; Dementia.

        · texto em Inglês     · Inglês ( pdf )