SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.80 issue2Functional and structural regeneration in the axolotl heart (Ambystoma mexicanum) after partial ventricular amputationComplications of permanent pacemaker: Event operator dependent? Analysis of 743 consecutive patients author indexsubject indexsearch form
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




Related links

  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO


Archivos de cardiología de México

On-line version ISSN 1665-1731Print version ISSN 1405-9940


CURI-CURI, Pedro et al. Surgical repair of congenital mitral valve malformations. Arch. Cardiol. Méx. [online]. 2010, vol.80, n.2, pp.87-94. ISSN 1665-1731.

Surgical development of mitral valve repair techniques in pediatric patients has been slow because of the great variety in the presentation of congenital mitral valve malformations and the still unknown growing effect over the complex mitral valve apparatus. The aim of this study is to review our early an mid-term institutional outcomes in surgical repair of congenital mitral valve malformations. We studied retrospectively 14 patients with surgical repair of congenital mitral valve malformations in a 5 year period. Clinical and echocardiographic follow-up at a mean of 25 months was performed in all cases. Operative morbidity was 77% and operative mortality 7%. There were no late deaths. Clinical functional class stratification at the mid-term improved in 73% of survivors and did not change in the remaining 27%. Freedom from reoperation for mitral valve prosthetic replacement due to mitral valve repair failure was 84% at 30 days and 77% at 3.5 years. Surgical repair is probably the best technique option in the treatment of congenital malformations of the mitral valve, and transesophageal intraoperatory echocardiography must be highly recommended for evaluation of results.

Keywords : Mitral valve repair; Cardiac pediatric surgery; Mexico.

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in English     · English ( pdf )


Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License