SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.24 número2Variación temporal de la captura de tiburón en las islas y costa central de Nayarit, México, con base en los registros oficiales de desembarque índice de autoresíndice de assuntospesquisa de artigos
Home Pagelista alfabética de periódicos  

Serviços Personalizados




Links relacionados

  • Não possue artigos similaresSimilares em SciELO



versão impressa ISSN 0188-8897


FURLONG-ESTRADA, Emmanuel; TOVAR-AVILA, Javier  e  RIOS-JARA, Eduardo. Ecological risk assessment of artisanal capture methods on sharks fished at the entrance of the Gulf of California. Hidrobiológica [online]. 2014, vol.24, n.2, pp.83-97. ISSN 0188-8897.

In Mexico sharks are an important fishery resource, however, their biological characteristics make them highly vulnerable to overfishing. In order to assess the vulnerability (v) and ecological risk (ER) of 20 species caught by the artisanal fishery at the entrance of the Gulf of California, a Productivity and Susceptibility Analysis (PSA) was performed taking into consideration the main fishing capture systems used in this region (gillnets and longlines). The results showed that thirteen species (65%) have medium biological productivity and the rest of them (35%) have low. The catch susceptibility was low to the total species analyzed. The ER estimated was high for seven species and medium for 13 of them. Likewise, all species were located in the medium category of vulnerability. The productivity values obtained for the species are comparable to those reported in similar research and confirm the considerable sensitivity of sharks to overfishing. Moreover the low susceptibility of capture in all species is related to the limited autonomy of the artisanal boats and and their operation range. The PSA is a rapid method applicable to fisheries that have insufficient information for traditional fisheries assessments and its application in other elasmobranch fisheries can help to delineate and prioritize fisheries management policies and research.

Palavras-chave : Ecological Risk; elasmobranchs; productivity and susceptibility analysis; vulnerability.

        · resumo em Espanhol     · texto em Espanhol     · Espanhol ( pdf )


Creative Commons License Todo o conteúdo deste periódico, exceto onde está identificado, está licenciado sob uma Licença Creative Commons